Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 05, 2011

Acts 23

As Paul testified before the Sanhedrin that -

"...I have lived in all good conscience before God until this day." (New Testament | Acts 23:1)

Ananias, in my mind, a wicked high priest commanded that Paul be smote on the mouth. This is the same high priest that smote Jesus. Paul understanding Jewish law said to Ananias -

"..God shall smite thee, thou whited wall: for sittest thou to judge me after the law, and commandest me to be smitten contrary to the law?" (New Testament | Acts 23:3)

You can sense the prideful arrogance of the Sanhedrin as that questioned -

"...Revilest thou God's high priest?" (New Testament | Acts 23:4)

What is interesting is that Paul answered -

"...I wist not, brethren, that he was the high priest: for it is written, Thou shalt not speak evil of the ruler of thy people." New Testament | Acts 23:5)

...or that he knew not it was the high priest.

As I read that this morning, it was hard for me to believe that Paul did not know that Ananais was the high priest or that for some reason he could nnot physically see him. Even though my thoughts are of little doctrinal importance, I felt I was getting to know Paul a little bit better in that I sensed this was more of a comment of sarcasm than anything. Here he stood before the head of the Sanhedrin, one who held a priestly office, who was exercising the epidemy of unrighteous dominion. I wondered if Paul was suggesting in sarcasm - "who would believe that one who was so prideful and evil could possibly a high priest thus suggesting - "I couldn't believe that this man of this nature could really be a high priest".