Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Acts 16

We have been promised that -

"...if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do." (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 32:5)

This doctrine could not seem more evident with missionary work of Paul and his companions. As he began his second mission -

"Now when they had gone throughout Phrygia and the region of Galatia, and were forbidden of the Holy Ghost to preach the word in Asia..." (New Testament | Acts 16:6)

And even -

"After they were come to Mysia, they assayed to go into Bithynia: but the Spirit suffered them not." (New Testament | Acts 16:7)

I see an inherent process in their work. It seems that these brethren proceeded to make a plan and then council on the matter. It seems apparent to me that they would then approach the Father in humble prayer if this be right. And if it was not according to the Lord's will, the Holy Ghost would forbid them. The scriptures do not suggest why they were forbidden, but what follows next would suggest there was a greater need elsewhere for -

"...a vision appeared to Paul in the night; There stood a man of Macedonia, and prayed him, saying, Come over into Macedonia, and help us." (New Testament | Acts 16:9)

And it was in Philippi, that several individuals had been prepared to receive the gospel. This is a great example how the gospel should be administered.