Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, June 23, 2011

Acts 17

Having personally stood on Mars Hill, I find the discourse of Paul even more meaningful. He begins his discourse with the famous words -

"...Ye men of Athens, I perceive that in all things ye are too superstitious.
23 For as I passed by, and beheld your devotions, I found an altar with this inscription, TO THE UNKNOWN GOD. Whom therefore ye ignorantly worship, him declare I unto you." (New Testament | Acts 17:22 - 23)

I understand a better interpretation of the word "superstitious" to the athenians should have been "philosophically religious". I believed Paul was more than aware of the greatness of the Greeks in previous generations but now realizes that they are now also under rule of the Romans. But what stands out in Paul's discourse is not necessarily his explanation of the one true God. But more our relationship with God for He -

"...hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation..." (New Testament | Acts 17:26)

There was a pre-existence with a pre-mortal plan of where and in what manner we were to live on this earth -

"For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring.
29 Forasmuch then as we are the offspring of God, we ought not to think that the Godhead is like unto gold, or silver, or stone, graven by art and man's device." (New Testament | Acts 17:28 - 29)

Being His offspring suggests more than other things that were created. The very definition of offspring is -

"...the product of the reproductive processes..." (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)

We know we are not His physical offspring. There was but one, Only Begotten offspring. Therefore we would be His spiritual offspring in this pre-existant state. Being His offspring, Paul makes it clear of our duty within this plan -

"That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us..." (New Testament | Acts 17:27)

And as we find Him, He -

"...now commandeth all men every where to repent..." (New Testament | Acts 17:30)