Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Acts 21

As Paul continues to be motivated to go to Jerusalem, some may assume that their is a contradiction in his will and the Lord's will. But I see it differently. We read that as Paul tarried in Tyre, there were faithful disciples -

"...who said to Paul through the Spirit, that he should not go up to Jerusalem." (New Testament | Acts 21:4)

And again the disciples in Caesarea as well a Paul's traveling companions -

"...both we, and they of that place, besought him not to go up to Jerusalem." (New Testament | Acts 21:12)

Even the prophet Agabus -

"...took Paul's girdle, and bound his own hands and feet, and said, Thus saith the Holy Ghost, So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man that owneth this girdle, and shall deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles." (New Testament | Acts 21:11)

Some would assume that the Holy Ghost is instructing Paul not to go to Jerusalem. But I believe that is not the case. These members were not entitled to personal revelation for Paul. There were entitled to receive the promptings of the Holy Ghost to warn or provide Paul with a much clearer picture as he asked for guidance from the Spirit. Paul, therefore concluded -

"...What mean ye to weep and to break mine heart? for I am ready not to be bound only, but also to die at Jerusalem for the name of the Lord Jesus."
(New Testament | Acts 21:13)

It was then that these disciples all agreed -

"...The will of the Lord be done." (New Testament | Acts 21:14)

I have sat in council where each member was inspired by the Holy Ghost to share their thoughts and incite. Some of those thoughts may have been in conflict. But nonetheless, it painted a full picture where the will of the Lord was spiritually manifest.