Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Acts 11

Even though it was revealed to Peter taht -

"...Of a truth I perceive that God is no respecter of persons..." (New Testament | Acts 10:34)

It was also taught in the parable of the talents that the master -

"...gave five talents, to another two, and to another one; to every man according to his several ability..." (New Testament | Matthew 25:15)

...suggesting in my mind that all men are not equal in abilities and that we will be judged what we do with our abilities. This would even extend to financial capabilities.

Through out the scriptures there is constant reference and expectations that the Lord's children are to care for the poor and the needy and administer to their relief. We see this being taught even amongst the early Christians in Antioch as -

"...the disciples, every man according to his ability, determined to send relief unto the brethren which dwelt in Judæa..." (New Testament | Acts 11:29)

To the Church of Christ -

"...Alma commanded that the people of the church should impart of their substance, every one according to that which he had; if he have more abundantly he should impart more abundantly; and of him that had but little, but little should be required; and to him that had not should be given.
28 And thus they should impart of their substance of their own free will and good desires towards God, and to those priests that stood in need, yea, and to every needy, naked soul." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 18:27 - 28)

King Benjamin taught -

"... if God, who has created you, on whom you are dependent for your lives and for all that ye have and are, doth grant unto you whatsoever ye ask that is right, in faith, believing that ye shall receive, O then, how ye ought to impart of the substance that ye have one to another.
22 And if ye judge the man who putteth up his petition to you for your substance that he perish not, and condemn him, how much more just will be your condemnation for withholding your substance, which doth not belong to you but to God, to whom also your life belongeth; and yet ye put up no petition, nor repent of the thing which thou hast done.
23 I say unto you, wo be unto that man, for his substance shall perish with him; and now, I say these things unto those who are rich as pertaining to the things of this world.
24 And again, I say unto the poor, ye who have not and yet have sufficient, that ye remain from day to day; I mean all you who deny the beggar, because ye have not; I would that ye say in your hearts that: I give not because I have not, but if I had I would give." (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 4:21 - 24)

We are to consecrate our time, talents, and means according to our abilities.