Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Mark 11

On more than one occasion, the Savior denounced hypocrisy. It was -

"...when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:
13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet." (New Testament | Mark 11:12 - 13)

To which the Savior responded -

"No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever." (New Testament | Mark 11:14)

Some have wondered why the Savior would curse what was supposedly a beautiful tree. It is clear the tree appeared to be a fruit bearing tree but was not. Who knows if the tree had or would ever bear fruit. I think the Savior again was teaching the nature of hypocrisy. The tree represented that which it did not do. To such, the same cure applies.