Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, December 08, 2009

D&C 75

Focusing on the great responsibility we have in preaching the gospel, the Lord said -

"Hearken, O ye who have given your names to go forth to proclaim my gospel, and to prune my vineyard.

3 Behold, I say unto you that it is my will that you should go forth and not tarry, neither be idle but labor with your might—
4 Lifting up your voices as with the sound of a trump, proclaiming the truth according to the revelations and commandments which I have given you.
5 And thus, if ye are faithful ye shall be laden with many sheaves, and crowned with honor, and glory, and immortality, and eternal life.  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 75:2 - 5)

These early saints were not necessarily wealthy.  It was difficult for them in scratching out a living for their families.  Yet the Lord expected many to leave and preach the gospel.  The Lord did not leave them with this missionary responsiblility without teaching his will in the caring and support of their families.  He said to these brethren -

"I, the Lord, give unto you this commandment, that ye obtain places for your families, inasmuch as your brethren are willing to open their hearts."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 75:25)

And to the saints that were to remain at home, he commanded -

"Behold, I say unto you, that it is the duty of the church to assist in supporting the families of those, and also to support the families of those who are called and must needs be sent unto the world to proclaim the gospel unto the world."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 75:24)

In this manner, all were commanded to participate in the great responsibility of preaching the gospel.  And with the assistance of the Church -

"...let all such as can obtain places for their families, and support of the church for them, not fail to go into the world..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 75:26)

In other words, they had no excuse, and were to go.  But if these brethren were not able to find a means to support their family, the Lord made it clear -

"...that every man who is obliged to provide for his own family, let him provide, and he shall in nowise lose his crown; and let him labor in the church."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 75:28)

We all have a great responsibility in to support the preaching of the gospel whether it be by the word or supporting those that do.