Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, December 07, 2009

D&C 72

The Lord instructed His saints -

"...for it is required of the Lord, at the hand of every steward, to render an account of his stewardship, both in time and in eternity."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 72:3)

As we are taught to live the law of consecration or the law of the Celestial kingdom, I believe that we will for ever, now and throughout the eternities, will be obligated to render an account of our stewardship.  We witness this in every aspect of priesthood administration.  With the law of consecration, we are again taught -

"Thus it cometh out of the church, for according to the law every man that cometh up to Zion must lay all things before the bishop in Zion.
16 And now, verily I say unto you, that as every elder in this part of the vineyard must give an account of his stewardship unto the bishop in this part of the vineyard—"  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 72:15 - 16)

As the united order was suspended for a season and the law of Tithing was introduced, I believe the commandment to give an accouting of our stewardship to the bishop continues to remain in force.  Annually we are commanded to meet with the bishop in tithing settlement.  And then with tithing, just as with the law of consecration -

"A certificate from the judge or bishop in this part of the vineyard, unto the bishop in Zion, rendereth every man acceptable, and answereth all things, for an inheritance, and to be received as a wise steward and as a faithful laborer..."  (Doctrine and Covenants Section 72:17)