Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 01, 2009

D&C 20

With the organization of the Church, the Lord provided a revelation on the "Church Organization and Government". Of this revelation, the Prophet recorded -

"We obtained of him [Jesus Christ] the following, by the spirit of prophecy and revelation; which not only gave us much information, but also pointed out to us the precise day upon which, according to his will and commandment, we should proceed to organize his Church once more here upon the earth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:Heading)

As I read this revelation this morning, two verses caught my attention. The first in regards to the offices of the teacher and deacon in the Aaronic priestood -

"...neither teachers nor deacons have authority to baptize, administer the sacrament, or lay on hands..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:58)

This would suggest in my mind, that deacons and teachers have not authority to ordain or even stand in the circle with "the lay on of hands" with the ordination of other teachers or deacons.

The second verse that caught my attention was in regards to the sacrament -

"...the elder or priest shall administer it; and after this manner shall he administer it—he shall kneel with the church and call upon the Father in solemn prayer..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 20:76)

I was asked the other day if it was necessary to kneel on both knees or one could kneel on one knee. The reason was the present presiding authority in the meeting required both knees. I had never heard or received any direction on the matter. I looked up the Merrian-Webster definition for kneel -

": to bend the knee : fall or rest on the knees"

Based on this definition, either would be acceptable. Until I receive any direction from my file leaders, I would thing either or would be okay. But nonetheless, if a presiding authority wants it done in a certain manner, we should always follow the instruction of the presiding authority.

The secon