Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 18, 2009

D&C 11

As Hyrum seemed to want to know what the Lord would have him do, the Lord said -

"...I say unto you, keep my commandments, and seek to bring forth and establish the cause of Zion.
7 Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 11:6 - 7)

The Lord emphasizes several times in this revelation that Hyrum is to "keep My commandments". For Hyrum as with all saints -

"...this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength." Doctrine and Covenants Section 11:20)

And in doing so, he was to seek "wisdom". The Lord then explains how one seeks wisdom -

"Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men.
22 But now hold your peace; study my word which hath gone forth among the children of men, and also study my word which shall come forth among the children of men, or that which is now translating, yea, until you have obtained all which I shall grant unto the children of men in this generation, and then shall all things be added thereto." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 11:21 - 22)

I believe the Lord is telling us that we obtain "wisdom" as we study his word. He even suggests that if we study and follow His word, even "all which [He] shall grant", "then shall all things be added thereto." But it begins by obtaining and study His words that have already been given to us. It is herein that we obtain wisdom and are made "rich".