Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 25, 2009

D&C 18

The Lord said to Oliver Cowdery and David Whitmer -

"Remember the worth of souls is great in the sight of God..."(Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:10)

I believe there is a tendency for most men to perceive or value or prefer one individual over another. But the Lord has said -

"...I am no respecter of persons..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 1:35)

I must learn to have charity for all men. The Lord teaches us that -

"...you are called to cry repentance unto this people.
15 And if it so be that you should labor all your days in crying repentance unto this people, and bring, save it be one soul unto me, how great shall be your joy with him in the kingdom of my Father!
16 And now, if your joy will be great with one soul that you have brought unto me into the kingdom of my Father, how great will be your joy if you should bring many souls unto me!" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 18:14 - 16)

One interesting perspective of these words is given by Rudger Clawson -

"...if one of these men should labor all his days, and bring save it be but one soul unto Christ, and that one should be his wife, what great joy he would have with his wife in heaven. Then if he should labor all his days and bring unto Christ the souls of his wife and his children, and none else perchance, how great would be his joy in heaven with his wife and children." (Rudger Clawson, CR, April 1901, pp. 7-8.)

A perspective that we should definitely labor within our families.