Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, August 13, 2009

D&C 8

Tonight we have a stake priesthood meeting. Today as I read the 8th Section of the Doctrine and Covenants, I thought I should jot down some thoughts that came to mind as I read this section in case I am asked to share some thoughts this evening.

On our recent "Trek to Zion" i taught the young men -

"...this greater priesthood ...holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:19)

And -

"The power and authority of the higher, or Melchizedek Priesthood...
19 To have the privilege of receiving the mysteries of the kingdom of heaven, to have the heavens opened unto them…" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:18 - 19)

In addition to the Melchizedek priesthood we know that the Aaronic Priesthood also -

"...holds the keys of the ministering of angels…" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 13:1)

A month before the Aaronic Priesthood was restored, before he was baptized, and a year before the Church was even organized or existed, the Lord said to Oliver Cowdery -

"...blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:14)

"Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth;" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:15)

The Lord is teaching us that as often as we inquire of Him he will enlighten us. I believe there are limits to that if we are not willing to progress and receive His priesthoods because He suggested for this to continue -
 
"Be faithful and diligent in keeping the commandments of God..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:20)

And if we do and honor His priesthoods, He said -

"I say unto you, that assuredly as the Lord liveth, who is your God and your Redeemer, even so surely shall you receive a knowledge of whatsoever things you shall ask in faith, with an honest heart, believing that you shall receive a knowledge..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:1)

Explaining -

"...behold, I will tell you in your mind and in your heart, by the Holy Ghost, which shall come upon you and which shall dwell in your heart." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:2)

For -

"...behold, this is the spirit of revelation; behold, this is the spirit by which Moses brought the children of Israel through the Red Sea on dry ground." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 8:3)

When the Lord says he will enlighten our minds - this is Intelligence -

"...or, in other words, light and truth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:36)

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught -
 
"...A person may profit by noticing the first intimation of the spirit of revelation; for instance, when you feel pure intelligence flowing into you, it may give you sudden strokes of ideas, so that by noticing it, you may find it fulfilled the same day or soon; (i.e.) those things what were presented unto your minds by the Spirit of God, will come to pass; and thus by learning the Spirit of God and understanding it, you may grow into the principle of revelation…" (Joseph Smith, Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith (Salt Lake City, Utah: Deseret Book Co., 1938), p. 151)

In my mind, this does not just apply to spiritual things but also secular learning for the Lord said -

"...all things both spiritual and temporal..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:31)

For -

"...all things unto me are spiritual, and not at any time have I given unto you a law which was temporal..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:34)