Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 11, 2009

D&C 6

To Oliver Cowdery, the Lord commends -

"...blessed art thou for what thou hast done; for thou hast inquired of me, and behold, as often as thou hast inquired thou hast received instruction of my Spirit..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:14)

As we liken the scriptures to ourselves, the Lord is saying that as often as we inquire of Him, he will provide instruction by the Holy Ghost. He explains to Oliver -

"Behold, thou knowest that thou hast inquired of me and I did enlighten thy mind; and now I tell thee these things that thou mayest know that thou hast been enlightened by the Spirit of truth..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 6:15)

The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines enlighten as -

"illuminate or to furnish knowledge to, to instruct , to give spiritual insight to"

This seems to follow what the Lord later teaches -

"The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:36)