Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

D&C 104

The Lord had previously promised the saints -

"...they shall also be crowned with blessings from above, yea, and with commandments not a few, and with revelations in their time—they that are faithful and diligent before me." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 59:4)

His commandments and laws are the blessings that He promises to bestow upon the saints conditional upon faithfulness and obedience. But with all laws and commandments, there is condemnation to those who fail to keep their covenants with the Lord. His laws are given that man may abide the Celestial Kingdom -

"For he who is not able to abide the law of a celestial kingdom cannot abide a celestial glory." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:22)

These celestial laws in include the laws of sacrifice, consecration, and stewardship. In the early days of the Church, the united order was introduced by revelation to administer these laws. The Lord said -

"...I say unto you, my friends, I give unto you counsel, and a commandment, concerning all the properties which belong to the order which I commanded to be organized and established, to be a united order, and an everlasting order for the benefit of my church, and for the salvation of men until I come—
2 With promise immutable and unchangeable, that inasmuch as those whom I commanded were faithful they should be blessed with a multiplicity of blessings..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:1 - 2)

But with that commandment -

"But inasmuch as they were not faithful they were nigh unto cursing.
4 Therefore, inasmuch as some of my servants have not kept the commandment, but have broken the covenant through covetousness, and with feigned words, I have cursed them with a very sore and grievous curse." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:3 - 4)

Why?

"For I, the Lord, am not to be mocked in these things—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:6)

And He provides with the law of consecration, the law of stewardship saying -

"...a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship;
12 That every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him.
13 For it is expedient that I, the Lord, should make every man accountable, as a steward over earthly blessings...and all things therein are mine." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:11 - 14)

And with the giving of these celestial laws the Lord explains -

"...it is my purpose to provide for my saints, for all things are mine.
16 But it must needs be done in mine own way; and behold this is the way that I, the Lord, have decreed to provide for my saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:15 - 16)

Though the administration of the law of consecration and steward known as the united order has been discontinued, the laws and associated covenants have not been discontinued but are required so that the saints will be able to abide the glory of the celestial kingdom.