Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, March 05, 2009

D&C 101

I have commented about ripeness before. Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines ripe as -

1: fully grown and developed : mature
2: having mature knowledge, understanding, or judgment

In recent litigation I was involved in, ripeness also suggested that every avenue or option was undertaken. To the saints, the Lord declared -

"Mine indignation is soon to be poured out without measure upon all nations; and this will I do when the cup of their iniquity is full." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:11)

Or in a sense - ripe. The Lord has so stated -

"For the hour is nigh and the day soon at hand when the earth is ripe; and all the proud and they that do wickedly shall be as stubble; and I will burn them up, saith the Lord of Hosts, that wickedness shall not be upon the earth..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 29:9)

Suggesting the parable of the wheat and tares -

"...let the wheat and the tares grow together until the harvest is fully ripe; then ye shall first gather out the wheat from among the tares, and after the gathering of the wheat, behold and lo, the tares are bound in bundles, and the field remaineth to be burned." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 86:7)

This promise can be quite disheartening, yet the Lord also promises -

"...in that day all who are found upon the watch-tower, or in other words, all mine Israel, shall be saved." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:12)

Which means -

"...they that have been scattered shall be gathered.
14 And all they who have mourned shall be comforted.
15 And all they who have given their lives for my name shall be crowned.
16 Therefore, let your hearts be comforted concerning Zion; for all flesh is in mine hands; be still and know that I am God.
17 Zion shall not be moved out of her place, notwithstanding her children are scattered.
18 They that remain, and are pure in heart, shall return, and come to their inheritances, they and their children, with songs of everlasting joy, to build up the waste places of Zion—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:13 - 18)

And these gathering places -

"...they shall be called stakes, for the curtains or the strength of Zion.
22 Behold, it is my will, that all they who call on my name, and worship me according to mine everlasting gospel, should gather together, and stand in holy places..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:21 - 22)

It is those that are diligent in that covenants, that worship in stakes, that are those that stand upon the watch tower.