Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

D&C 103

As the Lord revealed that Zion would be redeemed, He promised -

"...I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize, inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
6 Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour.
7 And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:5 - 7)

The more I thought about this promise, the more it seemed to me that the Lord was outlining a process that would take place suggesting that from this very hour that he saints would "begin" to prevail. And this process would be ongoing to the point that all the kingdoms of the world would be subdued. I sense that Lord is saying -

"Zion shall be redeemed in mine own due time." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 136:18)

The more I think about this, the more I realize that it is a process as the Lord said -

"...in order that all things be prepared before you, observe the commandment which I have given concerning these things—
70 Which saith, or teacheth, to purchase all the lands with money..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:69 - 70)

I sense that this purchase of money will be an easy things for prophets have testified -

"For the LORD shall comfort Zion: he will comfort all her waste places..." (Old Testament Isaiah 51:3)

Waste places in my mind are abandoned or uninhabited land. Where Jerimiah said of Zion -

"Set up the standard toward Zion: retire, stay not: for I will bring evil from the north, and a great destruction.
7 The lion is come up from his thicket, and the destroyer of the Gentiles is on his way; he is gone forth from his place to make thy land desolate; and thy cities shall be laid waste, without an inhabitant." (Old Testament Jeremiah 4:6 - 7)

I have thought that Zion will be redeemed whant the land is a waste place easy to be purchased by money. In modern day we read -

"They that remain, and are pure in heart, shall return, and come to their inheritances, they and their children, with songs of everlasting joy, to build up the waste places of Zion—
19 And all these things that the prophets might be fulfilled." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 101:18 - 19)

Brigham Young said of this return -
"...Are we going back to Jackson County? Yes. When? As soon as the way opens up. Are we all going? O no! of course not. The country is not large enough to hold our present numbers."
(In Journal of Discourses, 18:355.)

And it becomes even more clear as he said -

"...a portion of the Priesthood will go and redeem and build up the centre Stake of Zion." (in Journal of Discourses, 11:16)

In that the Lord said -

"...the place which is now called Independence is the center place..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 57:3)

And -

"...that the city New Jerusalem shall be built by the gathering of the saints, beginning at this place..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 84:4)