Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, February 25, 2009

D&C 96

The essential nature of providing the means that the saints would have the written word becomes apparent as the Lord instructs a building committee -

"...the second lot on the south shall be dedicated unto me for the building of a house unto me, for the work of the printing of the translation of my scriptures, and all things whatsoever I shall command you...And this house shall be wholly dedicated unto the Lord from the foundation thereof, for the work of the printing, in all things whatsoever I shall command you, to be holy, undefiled, according to the pattern in all things as it shall be given unto you." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 94:10 - 12)

And shortly thereafter He commands -

"...let my servant Newel K. Whitney take charge of the place which is named among you, upon which I design to build mine holy house.
3 And again, let it be divided into lots, according to wisdom, for the benefit of those who seek inheritances, as it shall be determined in council among you.
4 Therefore, take heed that ye see to this matter, and that portion that is necessary to benefit mine order, for the purpose of bringing forth my word to the children of men." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 96:2 - 4)

Of three important lots, the very purpose of one was to bring forth the word, the revelations, the "iron rod" to the saints as well as those searching for truth. It's great importance and purpose is clearly stated by the Lord -

"...this is the most expedient in me, that my word should go forth unto the children of men, for the purpose of subduing the hearts of the children of men for your good." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 96:5)

I believe the magnitude of the printed word is sensed by "most expedient in me". I don't know anywhere else in scripture where the Lord added the adverb "most" to expedient.