Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, August 06, 2008

D&C 104

In the preface to section 104 of the Doctrine and Covenants, it reads -

"Revelation given to Joseph Smith the Prophet, April 23, 1834, concerning the United Order, or the order of the Church for the benefit of the poor. " (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:Heading)

There are some principles therein that apply to current policies for the benefit of the poor. The Lord states that -

"I, the Lord, stretched out the heavens, and built the earth, my very handiwork; and all things therein are mine." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:14)

First and foremost, it is important that His children understand that all is His. But through His grace He reveals -

"And it is my purpose to provide for my saints, for all things are mine." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:15)

But their is a condition to how He will provide for His saints -

"...it must needs be done in mine own way; and behold this is the way that I, the Lord, have decreed to provide for my saints, that the poor shall be exalted, in that the rich are made low." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:16)

For He knows -

"...the earth is full, and there is enough and to spare; yea, I prepared all things, and have given unto the children of men to be agents unto themselves." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:17)


As agents unto themselves, He instructs -

"It is wisdom in me; therefore, a commandment I give unto you, that ye shall organize yourselves and appoint every man his stewardship..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:11)

And with that -

"...every man may give an account unto me of the stewardship which is appointed unto him." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:12)

And

"...if any man shall take of the abundance which I have made, and impart not his portion, according to the law of my gospel, unto the poor and the needy, he shall, with the wicked, lift up his eyes in hell, being in torment." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:18)

With emphasis He again repeats -

"And again, a commandment I give unto you concerning your stewardship which I have appointed unto you.
55 Behold, all these properties are mine, or else your faith is vain, and ye are found hypocrites, and the covenants which ye have made unto me are broken;
56 And if the properties are mine, then ye are stewards; otherwise ye are no stewards.
57 But, verily I say unto you, I have appointed unto you to be stewards over mine house, even stewards indeed." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 104:54 - 57)