Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, June 30, 2008

Section 82

I know that there are Church writings that suggest that the commandments and covenants that certain brethren in the early days of the Church (revealed in this section) were to be bound by was one that they would have all things in common. Whether that is so or not, I feel that its meaning is as applicable to the saints today. We, being latter-day saints have covenanted that we -

"...are willing to bear one another's burdens, that they may be light;
9 Yea, and are willing to mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even until death, that ye may be redeemed of God..." (Book of Mormon Mosiah 18:8 - 9)

Such that -

"Every man seeking the interest of his neighbor, and doing all things with an eye single to the glory of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:19)

Which means caring for the poor and the needy. We do this with fast offerings and welfare service -

"....all this for the benefit of the church of the living God, that every man may improve upon his talent, that every man may gain other talents, yea, even an hundred fold, to be cast into the Lord's storehouse, to become the common property of the whole church—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:18)

In this manner so that the saints -

"...are to be equal, or in other words, you are to have equal claims on the properties, for the benefit of managing the concerns of your stewardships, every man according to his wants and his needs, inasmuch as his wants are just—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:17)

Which means to me that everyone is equal to make a claim on donated help "inasmuch as his wants are just". We do this by commandment for our own eternal welfare. For this purpose, the Lord said -

"...I give unto you directions how you may act before me, that it may turn to you for your salvation
(Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:9)

To those that live this law the Lord reminds us -

"I, the Lord, am bound when ye do what I say; but when ye do not what I say, ye have no promise." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 82:10)