Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, August 05, 2008

D&C 103

We learn that during the days of Enoch -

"...the Lord called his people ZION, because they were of one heart and one mind, and dwelt in righteousness; and there was no poor among them." (Pearl of Great Price Moses 7:18)

In modern day, the Lord referred to the place where the saints were gathering in Missouri as "the land of Zion" or the land where the saints or people were to live with one heart and one mind dwelling in righteousness. But we learn that this was not the case as the Lord said of -

"...those who call themselves after my name might be chastened for a little season with a sore and grievous chastisement, because they did not hearken altogether unto the precepts and commandments which I gave unto them." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:4)

These saints were good people striving to live in the manner the Lord had prescribed yet the purpose was to work to "become" a people called Zion. The Lord loves His children and -

"...whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.
7 If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?" (New Testament Hebrews 12:6 - 7)

"Furthermore we have had fathers of our flesh which corrected us, and we gave them reverence: shall we not much rather be in subjection unto the Father of spirits, and live?" (New Testament Hebrews 12:9)

The Lord then provided His saints a promise. A promise that I don't think is just a point in time but and ongoing promise that His children realize as they strive to "become" a people called Zion saying -

"...I have decreed a decree which my people shall realize, inasmuch as they hearken from this very hour unto the counsel which I, the Lord their God, shall give unto them.
6 Behold they shall, for I have decreed it, begin to prevail against mine enemies from this very hour.
7 And by hearkening to observe all the words which I, the Lord their God, shall speak unto them, they shall never cease to prevail until the kingdoms of the world are subdued under my feet, and the earth is given unto the saints, to possess it forever and ever." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:5 - 7)

"For after much tribulation, as I have said unto you in a former commandment, cometh the blessing." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 103:12)