Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, July 25, 2008

D&C 88

If no other scripture was ever given, the 88th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, would in itself bear testimony that Joseph Smith was a prophet called of God in these last days! I know that the Prophet told the truth.

After the Lord reveals some great truths and teachings, he follows by calling his saints "friends" saying -

"...verily I say unto you, my friends, I leave these sayings with you to ponder in your hearts, with this commandment which I give unto you, that ye shall call upon me while I am near—" (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:62)

And these are some of the commandments He wanted His associates to ponder in their hearts -

"Draw near unto me and I will draw near unto you; seek me diligently and ye shall find me; ask, and ye shall receive; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:63)

And in finding Him He explains -

"Behold, that which you hear is as the voice of one crying in the wilderness—in the wilderness, because you cannot see him—my voice, because my voice is Spirit; my Spirit is truth; truth abideth and hath no end; and if it be in you it shall abound." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:66)

For -

"...if your eye be single to my glory, your whole bodies shall be filled with light, and there shall be no darkness in you; and that body which is filled with light comprehendeth all things." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:67)

It is apparent then that there is a direct correlation between hearing His voice and how we live our lives -

"Therefore, sanctify yourselves that your minds become single to God, and the days will come that you shall see him; for he will unveil his face unto you, and it shall be in his own time, and in his own way, and according to his own will.
69 Remember the great and last promise which I have made unto you; cast away your idle thoughts and your excess of laughter far from you." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:68 - 69)

Our eyes become single to His glory as He teaches -

"I give unto you a commandment that ye shall continue in prayer and fasting from this time forth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:76)

As well as -

"...I give unto you a commandment that you shall teach one another the doctrine of the kingdom.
78 Teach ye diligently and my grace shall attend you, that you may be instructed more perfectly in theory, in principle, in doctrine, in the law of the gospel, in all things that pertain unto the kingdom of God, that are expedient for you to understand..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:77 - 78)

For -

"Behold, I sent you out to testify and warn the people, and it becometh every man who hath been warned to warn his neighbor." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:81)

And again He says -

"...verily I say unto you, my friends..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:117)

"...as all have not faith, seek ye diligently and teach one another words of wisdom; yea, seek ye out of the best books words of wisdom; seek learning, even by study and also by faith.
119 Organize yourselves; prepare every needful thing; and establish a house, even a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of learning, a house of glory, a house of order, a house of God;
120 That your incomings may be in the name of the Lord; that your outgoings may be in the name of the Lord; that all your salutations may be in the name of the Lord, with uplifted hands unto the Most High.
121 Therefore, cease from all your light speeches, from all laughter, from all your lustful desires, from all your pride and light-mindedness, and from all your wicked doings." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:118 - 121)

"See that ye love one another; cease to be covetous; learn to impart one to another as the gospel requires.
124 Cease to be idle; cease to be unclean; cease to find fault one with another; cease to sleep longer than is needful; retire to thy bed early, that ye may not be weary; arise early, that your bodies and your minds may be invigorated.
125 And above all things, clothe yourselves with the bond of charity, as with a mantle, which is the bond of perfectness and peace.
126 Pray always, that ye may not faint, until I come. Behold, and lo, I will come quickly, and receive you unto myself. Amen." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 88:123 - 126)