Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, July 31, 2008

D&C 98

There has been a great deal of interest recently in politics as we approach the election of a new president of the United States. The Lord provided us some very good counsel regarding this matter saying -

"...verily I say unto you concerning the laws of the land, it is my will that my people should observe to do all things whatsoever I command them.
5 And that law of the land which is constitutional, supporting that principle of freedom in maintaining rights and privileges, belongs to all mankind, and is justifiable before me.
6 Therefore, I, the Lord, justify you, and your brethren of my church, in befriending that law which is the constitutional law of the land." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:4 - 6)

He explains the importance of this constitutional law -

"I, the Lord God, make you free, therefore ye are free indeed; and the law also maketh you free." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:8)

But he also provides this warning -

"...when the wicked rule the people mourn." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:9)

Therefore, our obligation is to vote. And he counsels how to vote - and it has nothing to do with political parties -

"Wherefore, honest men and wise men should be sought for diligently, and good men and wise men ye should observe to uphold; otherwise whatsoever is less than these cometh of evil." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:10)

And He follows with this command to all -

"I give unto you a commandment, that ye shall forsake all evil and cleave unto all good, that ye shall live by every word which proceedeth forth out of the mouth of God." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 98:11)