Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, July 29, 2008

D&C 93

John taught how Christ was the Father testifying -

"...I, John, bear record that I beheld his glory, as the glory of the Only Begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth, even the Spirit of truth, which came and dwelt in the flesh, and dwelt among us." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:11)

But at first -

"...he received not of the fulness at first, but continued from grace to grace, until he received a fulness..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:13)

And because of that -

"...he was called the Son of God, because he received not of the fulness at the first." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:14)

John testified that He did receive the fulness of His Father saying -

"...I, John, bear record that he received a fulness of the glory of the Father;
17 And he received all power, both in heaven and on earth, and the glory of the Father was with him, for he dwelt in him." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:16 - 17)

There is a pattern here for all of us as the Savior teaches -

"...if you keep my commandments you shall receive of his fulness, and be glorified in me as I am in the Father; therefore, I say unto you, you shall receive grace for grace." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:20)

"And it shall come to pass, that if you are faithful you shall receive the fulness of the record of John.
19 I give unto you these sayings that you may understand and know how to worship, and know what you worship, that you may come unto the Father in my name, and in due time receive of his fulness." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:18 - 19)

What greater promise is there?

"And no man receiveth a fulness unless he keepeth his commandments." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:27)

The Savior also teaches us -

"...I was in the beginning with the Father, and am the Firstborn..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:21)

And also -

"Ye were also in the beginning with the Father..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:23)

As spirits we were with the Spirit of Truth -

"The Spirit of truth is of God. I am the Spirit of truth, and John bore record of me, saying: He received a fulness of truth, yea, even of all truth..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:26)

What is Truth?

"...truth is knowledge of things as they are, and as they were, and as they are to come..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:24)

Truth combined with light which in my mind is an understanding or enlightenment that comes through obedience develops into intelligence -

"...or the light of truth..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:29)

Which sums this up -

"...here is the agency of man, and here is the condemnation of man; because that which was from the beginning is plainly manifest unto them, and they receive not the light.
32 And every man whose spirit receiveth not the light is under condemnation." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:31 - 32)

To receive of His fulness, we must receive the light for -

"The glory of God is intelligence, or, in other words, light and truth." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 93:36)