Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, January 11, 2008

Alma 30

I believe the story of Korihor has great application to our day - especially our youth. We read of Korihor -

"...there came a man into the land of Zarahemla, and he was Anti-Christ, for he began to preach unto the people against the prophecies which had been spoken by the prophets, concerning the coming of Christ." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:6)

In their day, this preaching was against the coming of Christ. In our day, I see any preaching against Christ, His modern-day Church, His annointed leaders, and His restored laws, doctrine, gospel as an anti-Christ for

"...after this manner did he preach, saying:
13 O ye that are bound down under a foolish and a vain hope, why do ye yoke yourselves with such foolish things?..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:12 - 13)

With this teaching -

"...every man fared in this life according to the management of the creature; therefore every man prospered according to his genius, and that every man conquered according to his strength; and whatsoever a man did was no crime..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:17)

Isn't that much of what is taught today is that whatsoever a person does is no sin?

"...leading away the hearts of many, causing them to lift up their heads in their wickedness, yea, leading away many women, and also men, to commit whoredoms..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:18)

Even suggesting of the saints that -

"...they durst not enjoy their rights and privileges.
28 Yea, they durst not make use of that which is their own lest they should offend their priests, who do yoke them according to their desires..." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:27 - 28)

I think there is a philosophy out there that if we just accept Christ as our Savior, that is all that is necessary. After that, it doesn't really matter what we do. I believe this philosophy is far from the teachings of the Savior in the New Testament.

There are many out there that challenge the Book of Mormon much like Korihor without making any sincere, faithful effort to determine if it is the word of God, saying -

"If thou wilt show me a sign...then will I be convinced of the truth of thy words." (Book of Mormon Alma 30:43)

I think there are many anti-Christs in our day.