Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 07, 2008

Alma 29

Alma contemplated and shared the -

"...wish of mine heart, that I might go forth and speak with the trump of God, with a voice to shake the earth, and cry repentance unto every people!
2 Yea, I would declare unto every soul, as with the voice of thunder, repentance and the plan of redemption, that they should repent and come unto our God, that there might not be more sorrow upon all the face of the earth." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:1 - 2)

As he does, he also teaches us -

"...I am a man, and do sin in my wish; for I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me." (Book of Mormon Alma 29:3)

The simples words, "I ought to be content with the things which the Lord hath allotted unto me" has seemed to have a greater meaning to me after the events of this past weekend. I have recalled in the early days of the Church, there was a times, a great apostasy among many of the leaders of the Church. Those to whom Joseph Smith considered his close friends. Much of this apostasy had a great deal pride, with individuals being overlooked in priesthood callings or not being appointed to positions of leadership that thought they somehow deserved. Many blamed the Prophet but we know he was only doing the will of the Lord. Elder Henry D. Moyle made this comment -

“I believe that we, as fellow workers in the priesthood, might well take to heart the admonition of Alma and be content with that which God hath allotted us. We might well be assured that we had something to do with our ‘allotment’ in our pre-existent state. This would be an additional reason for us to accept our present condition and make the best of it. It is what we agreed to do. . . .
“. . . We had our own free agency in our pre-mortal existence, and whatever we are today is likely the result of that which we willed to be heretofore” (in Conference Report, Oct. 1952, p. 71).

It probably doesn't really matter where one serves, but how one serves.