Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 10, 2008

Alma 33

Yesterday, I blogged about the meaning of the "the word" and "the seed". I just wanted to followup in my readings this morning.

Of the word, speaking of Moses's day , Alma taught -

"...behold a type was raised up in the wilderness, that whosoever would look upon it might live. And many did look and live.
20 But few understood the meaning of those things, and this because of the hardness of their hearts. But there were many who were so hardened that they would not look, therefore they perished. Now the reason they would not look is because they did not believe that it would heal them.
21 O my brethren, if ye could be healed by merely casting about your eyes that ye might be healed, would ye not behold quickly, or would ye rather harden your hearts in unbelief, and be slothful, that ye would not cast about your eyes, that ye might perish?" (Book of Mormon Alma 33:19 - 21)

It is through the Word that if we -

"...then cast about your eyes and begin to believe in the Son of God, that he will come to redeem his people, and that he shall suffer and die to atone for their sins; and that he shall rise again from the dead, which shall bring to pass the resurrection, that all men shall stand before him, to be judged at the last and judgment day, according to their works." "Book of Mormon Alma 33:22)

And then speaking of the Son of God -

"And now, my brethren, I desire that ye shall plant this word in your hearts, and as it beginneth to swell even so nourish it by your faith. And behold, it will become a tree, springing up in you unto everlasting life..." (Book of Mormon Alma 33:23)

And -

"...ye shall reap the rewards of your faith, and your diligence, and patience, and long-suffering, waiting for the tree to bring forth fruit unto you." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:43)

Note that the tree will bring the fruit to us. Amulek followed with -

"...my brother [Alma] has proved unto you, in many instances, that the word is in Christ unto salvation." (Book of Mormon Alma 34:6)

It is interesting that the footnote for "the word is in Christ" references the testimony of John in the first chapter of John.