Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Alma 32

As Alma talks to the poor of the Zoramites, he says -

"...we will compare the word unto a seed..." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:28)

My thoughts this morning is what is this seed? John said -

"IN the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God." (New Testament John 1:1 - 2)

"And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us..." (New Testament John 1:14)

John's testimony is that Jesus Christ is the Word. Even though "the word" in Alma is not capitalized, I believe Alma is still suggesting "the seed" is the Savior and His atonement. Alma continues -

"...if ye give place, that a seed may be planted in your heart, behold, if it be a true seed, or a good seed, if ye do not cast it out by your unbelief, that ye will resist the Spirit of the Lord, behold, it will begin to swell within your breasts; and when you feel these swelling motions, ye will begin to say within yourselves—It must needs be that this is a good seed, or that the word is good, for it beginneth to enlarge my soul; yea, it beginneth to enlighten my understanding, yea, it beginneth to be delicious to me." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:28)

Alma later describes what the seed means or becomes in our life saying -

"...if ye will nourish the word, yea, nourish the tree as it beginneth to grow, by your faith with great diligence, and with patience, looking forward to the fruit thereof, it shall take root; and behold it shall be a tree springing up unto everlasting life." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:41)

What tree does the seed become? -

"...because of your diligence and your faith and your patience with the word in nourishing it, that it may take root in you, behold, by and by ye shall pluck the fruit thereof, which is most precious, which is sweet above all that is sweet, and which is white above all that is white, yea, and pure above all that is pure; and ye shall feast upon this fruit even until ye are filled, that ye hunger not, neither shall ye thirst." (Book of Mormon Alma 32:42)

Did not the Savior say -

"...I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst." (New Testament John 6:35)

Is not the tree from the seed the -

"...tree of life, whose fruit is most precious and most desirable above all other fruits; yea, and it is the greatest of all the gifts of God..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:36)

"Yea, he saith: Come unto me and ye shall partake of the fruit of the tree of life; yea, ye shall eat and drink of the bread and the waters of life freely..." (Book of Mormon Alma 5:34)

Whose fruit Lehi -

"...beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8:11)