Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Exodus 7 - 12

Jacob taught his people that Jehovah -

"...shall show himself unto those at Jerusalem...for it behooveth the great Creator that he suffereth himself to become subject unto man in the flesh, and die for all men, that all men might become subject unto him." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 9:5)

"O how great the goodness of our God, who prepareth a way for our escape from the grasp of this awful monster; yea, that monster, death and hell, which I call the death of the body, and also the death of the spirit." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 9:10)

"Wherefore, it must needs be an infinite atonement..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 9:7)

This is the doctrine the I believe the Lord conveyed to the children of Israel. I personally believe this doctrine was plainly taught and understood as the law of the passover was introduced. As is written with the passover -

"In one house shall it be eaten; thou shalt not carry forth ought of the flesh abroad out of the house; neither shall ye break a bone thereof." (Old Testament Exodus 12:46)

John wrote of the cruxificion of the Savior -

"For these things were done, that the scripture should be fulfilled, A bone of him shall not be broken" (New Testament John 19:36)

It is interesting that John follows with -

"And again another scripture saith, They shall look on him whom they pierced." (New Testament John 19:37)

I can't seem to find a reference to that verse. I am convinced as I read the Old Testament that there was once more truths and doctrines of the gospel and the atonement that were included, but now only the story is left, where, as Nephi wrote, men have -

"...taken away from the gospel of the Lamb many parts which are plain and most precious; and also many covenants of the Lord have they taken away." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 13:26)