Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Genesis 35 - 45

To the Prophet Joseph Smith, the Lord said -

"My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;
8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 121:7 - 8)

Righteousness and obedience does not exempt anyone for trials, adversity, and afflictions. It is how we deal we deal with this adversity, that is with faith, attitude, and perspective will determine if we "endure it well".

At no fault to Joseph -

"...Israel loved Joseph more than all his children...And when his brethren saw that their father loved him more than all his brethren, they hated him..." (Old Testament Genesis 37:3 - 4)

So his brothers -

"...sold Joseph to the Ishmeelites for twenty pieces of silver: and they brought Joseph into Egypt." (Old Testament Genesis 37:28)

"...And the Midianites sold him into Egypt unto Potiphar, an officer of Pharaoh's, and captain of the guard." (Old Testament Genesis 37:36)

With this great deal of adversity, what did Joseph do?

Joseph found grace in his sight, and he served him: and he made him overseer over his house, and all that he had he put into his hand...[and] the LORD blessed the Egyptian's house for Joseph's sake..." (Old Testament Genesis 39:4 - 5)

And -

"...he left all that he had in Joseph's hand...And Joseph was a goodly person, and well favoured." (Old Testament Genesis 39:6)

But adversity didn't end there. Joseph became the lust of Potiphar's wife and when he would not lie with her, she fabricated a lie that Joseph -

"...came in unto me to mock me.,," (Old Testament Genesis 39:17)

Having been wrongfully charged -

"...Joseph's master took him, and put him into the prison..." (Old Testament Genesis 39:20)

He was in prison for several years until Pharoah learned that Joseph could interpret his dream so -

"Pharaoh sent and called Joseph, and they brought him hastily out of the dungeon: and he shaved himself, and changed his raiment, and came in unto Pharaoh." (Old Testament Genesis 41:14)

Upon interpreting the Pharoah's dream of seven plentiful years and then seven years of famine -

"Pharaoh said unto Joseph, Forasmuch as God hath shewed thee all this, there is none so discreet and wise as thou art:
40 Thou shalt be over my house, and according unto thy word shall all my people be ruled: only in the throne will I be greater than thou.
41 And Pharaoh said unto Joseph, See, I have set thee over all the land of Egypt." (Old Testament Genesis 41:39 - 41)

With all this adversity, much of it caused by injustice, hatred, and deceit, you might think that Joseph would hold a grudge or hosility towards his brothers and others. But as Joseph is again reunited with his brothers who sold him to slavery, he tells them -

"...I am Joseph your brother, whom ye sold into Egypt.
5 Now therefore be not grieved, nor angry with yourselves, that ye sold me hither: for God did send me before you to preserve life.
6 For these two years hath the famine been in the land: and yet there are five years, in the which there shall neither be earing nor harvest.
7 And God sent me before you to preserve you a posterity in the earth, and to save your lives by a great deliverance." (Old Testament Genesis 45:4 - 7)

Isn't Joseph a great example of faith, attitude, and perspective. I see Joseph as one who "endured it well" and one exalted.