Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Exodus 1 - 6

The Lord tells Moses from the burning bush that -

"...I am come down to deliver them out of the hand of the Egyptians, and to bring them up out of that land unto a good land and a large, unto a land flowing with milk and honey..." (Old Testament Exodus 3:8)

And to accomplish that the Lord tells Moses -

"...I will send thee unto Pharaoh, that thou mayest bring forth my people the children of Israel out of Egypt...." (Old Testament Exodus 3:10)

Nephi probably would have said, "Yes Sir" -

"....I will go and do the things which the Lord hath commanded, for I know that the Lord giveth no commandments unto the children of men, save he shall prepare a way for them that they may accomplish the thing which he commandeth them." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 3:7)

But Moses wasn't quite at that level yet and replies (to which I can relate) -

"...Who am I, that I should go unto Pharaoh, and that I should bring forth the children of Israel out of Egypt?" (Old Testament Exodus 3:11)

With tenderness and love, the Lord replies -

"...Certainly I will be with thee..." (Old Testament Exodus 3:12)

And then the Lord tells him -

"...this shall be a token unto thee, that I have sent thee..." (Old Testament Exodus 3:12)

First he gives Moses one of his names saying -

"...thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you...Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever..." (Old Testament Exodus 3:14 - 15)

And then he provides Moses with three tokens or signs -

"...And the LORD said unto him, What is that in thine hand? And he said, A rod.
3 And he said, Cast it on the ground. And he cast it on the ground, and it became a serpent; and Moses fled from before it.
4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Put forth thine hand, and take it by the tail. And he put forth his hand, and caught it, and it became a rod in his hand..." (Old Testament Exodus 4:2 - 4)

"...And the LORD said furthermore unto him, Put now thine hand into thy bosom. And he put his hand into his bosom: and when he took it out, behold, his hand was leprous as snow.
7 And he said, Put thine hand into thy bosom again. And he put his hand into his bosom again; and plucked it out of his bosom, and, behold, it was turned again as his other flesh." (Old Testament Exodus 4:6 - 7)

And if the people did not believe these two tokens -

"...thou shalt take of the water of the river, and pour it upon the dry land: and the water which thou takest out of the river shall become blood upon the dry land..." (Old Testament Exodus 4:9)

And then after all this, Moses tends to push it a little bit to far -

"And Moses said unto the LORD, O my Lord, I am not eloquent, neither heretofore, nor since thou hast spoken unto thy servant: but I am slow of speech, and of a slow tongue." (Old Testament Exodus 4:10)

You can sense the frustration of the Lord as he replies -

"...Who hath made man's mouth? or who maketh the dumb, or deaf, or the seeing, or the blind? have not I the LORD?
12 Now therefore go, and I will be with thy mouth, and teach thee what thou shalt say." (Old Testament Exodus 4:11 - 12)

Compare this conversation with that of Nephi to his brothers after the Lord had commanded him to build a ship -

"...If God had commanded me to do all things I could do them. If he should command me that I should say unto this water, be thou earth, it should be earth; and if I should say it, it would be done.
51 And now, if the Lord has such great power, and has wrought so many miracles among the children of men, how is it that he cannot instruct me, that I should build a ship?" (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 17:50 - 51)

President Monson said -

"...Now, some of you may be shy by nature or consider yourselves inadequate to respond affirmatively to a calling. Remember that this work is not yours and mine alone. It is the Lord’s work, and when we are on the Lord’s errand, we are entitled to the Lord’s help. Remember that whom the Lord calls, the Lord qualifies..." (Thomas S. Monson, “Duty Calls,” Ensign, May 1996)