Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Genesis 26 - 29

The Lord has stated -

"...I, the Lord, require the hearts of the children of men.
23 Behold, now it is called today until the coming of the Son of Man, and verily it is a day of sacrifice, and a day for the tithing of my people; for he that is tithed shall not be burned at his coming." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 64:22 - 23)

And -

"...those who have thus been tithed shall pay one–tenth of all their interest annually; and this shall be a standing law unto them forever, for my holy priesthood, saith the Lord." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 119:4)

I doubt many would argue that Genesis is very brief on much that transpired during the lives of the great patriarchs, but with just single sentences we learn that many gospel principles were taught from the beginning. One of those being the law of tithing. We read that -

"Melchizedek king of Salem...was the priest of the most high God." (Old Testament Genesis 14:18)

And to Melchizedek, Abraham

"...gave him tithes of all." (Old Testament Genesis 14:20)

It becomes apparent that Jacob had been taught this law for he promised the Lord -

"...of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee." (Old Testament Genesis 28:22)

Tithes are mentioned multiple times in the law of Moses. But it is the Savior's words given to the Nephites, which are the same he revealed to Malachi that emphasizes its greatest meaning -

"Even from the days of your fathers ye are gone away from mine ordinances, and have not kept them. Return unto me and I will return unto you, saith the Lord of Hosts. But ye say: Wherein shall we return?
8 Will a man rob God? Yet ye have robbed me. But ye say: Wherein have we robbed thee? In tithes and offerings." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 24:7 - 8)

To those who choose not to pay thing -

"Ye are cursed with a curse, for ye have robbed me..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 24:9)

Of those who are obedient to this law -

"Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat in my house; and prove me now herewith, saith the Lord of Hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you out a blessing that there shall not be room enough to receive it.
11 And I will rebuke the devourer for your sakes, and he shall not destroy the fruits of your ground; neither shall your vine cast her fruit before the time in the fields, saith the Lord of Hosts.
12 And all nations shall call you blessed, for ye shall be a delightsome land, saith the Lord of Hosts." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 24:10 - 12)