Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, January 09, 2006

Genesis 23 - 25

The Savior said -

"...I seek not mine own will, but the will of the Father which hath sent me..." (New Testament John 5:30)

And of us -

"If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour." (New Testament John 12:26)

I was impressed with the servant of Abraham, for as -

"...Abraham said unto his eldest servant of his house, that ruled over all that he had, Put, I pray thee, thy hand under my thigh..." (Old Testament Genesis 24:2)

"And...swear by the LORD...thou shalt go unto my country, and to my kindred, and take a wife unto my son Isaac." (Old Testament Genesis 24:3 - 4)

"And the servant put his hand under the thigh of Abraham his master, and sware to him concerning that matter." (Old Testament Genesis 24:9)

"And the servant took ten camels of the camels of his master, and departed; for all the goods of his master were in his hand: and he arose, and went to Mesopotamia..." (Old Testament Genesis 24:10)

And when he arrived, he faithfully prayed -

"...O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
13 Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water..." (Old Testament Genesis 24:12 - 13)

And in his prayer he asked for guidance as he prayed -

"...let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master..." (Old Testament Genesis 24:14)

And sure enough -

"...before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out...and the damsel was very fair to look upon, a virgin, neither had any man known her: and she went down to the well, and filled her pitcher, and came up." (Old Testament Genesis 24:15 - 16)

In great faith, I'm sure hoping that this was the answer to he prayer -

"...the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher.
18 And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink." (Old Testament Genesis 24:17 - 18)

And then without being asked -

"...when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking.
20 And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels." (Old Testament Genesis 24:19 - 20)

And probably with some excitement, the servant -

"...wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not." (Old Testament Genesis 24:21)

And upon learning who she really was, Abraham's servant -

"...bowed down his head, and worshipped the LORD.
27 And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of my master Abraham, who hath not left destitute my master of his mercy and his truth: I being in the way, the LORD led me to the house of my master's brethren." (Old Testament Genesis 24:26 - 27)

She takes the servant to her home where the servant explains everything including his spiritual experience at the well where her family recommends -

"...take her, and go, and let her be thy master's son's wife, as the LORD hath spoken." (Old Testament Genesis 24:51)

And

"...when Abraham's servant heard their words, he worshipped the LORD, bowing himself to the earth." (Old Testament Genesis 24:52)

The servant is a great example of showing gratitude. But the family requested -

"...Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go..." (Old Testament Genesis 24:55)

Probably sensing his allegiance and obligation to his master, the servant replies

"Hinder me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master." (Old Testament Genesis 24:56)

The family then suggests -

"We will call the damsel, and enquire at her mouth.
58 And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man?" (Old Testament Genesis 24:57 - 58)

And also in great faith, Rebekah answers -

"...I will go." (Old Testament Genesis 24:58)

And with the Spirit of Prophecy -

"...they blessed Rebekah, and said unto her, Thou art our sister, be thou the mother of thousands of millions, and let thy seed possess the gate of those which hate them." (Old Testament Genesis 24:60)

"...and the servant took Rebekah, and went his way." (Old Testament Genesis 24:61)

As servants the Savior asked his twelve disciples -

"...what manner of men ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 27:27)