Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Genesis 30 - 34

In latter-day revelation, the Lord said -

"...Jacob did none other thing than that which [he was] commanded..." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 132:37)

I see Jacob as a man of integrity and doing what is fair and just. Jacob offered to Laban -

"...I will serve thee seven years for Rachel thy younger daughter." (Old Testament Genesis 29:18)

And Laban agreed saying -

"...It is better that I give her to thee, than that I should give her to another man..." (Old Testament Genesis 29:19)

"And Jacob served seven years for Rachel; and they seemed unto him but a few days, for the love he had to her." (Old Testament Genesis 29:20)

And upon meeting his obligation -

"...Jacob said unto Laban, Give me my wife, for my days are fulfilled, that I may go in unto her..." (Old Testament Genesis 29:21)

Laban being in control did not honor his commitment deceitfully -

"...took Leah his daughter, and brought her to him; and he went in unto her." (Old Testament Genesis 29:23)

And then Laban pulls this trick if Jacob wanted to marry Rachel -

"...thou shalt serve with me yet seven other years." (Old Testament Genesis 29:27)

Jacob meets his commitment again and this time Laban -

"gave him Rachel his daughter to wife also." (Old Testament Genesis 29:28)

I'm sure Jacob more than understands he wasn't treated fairly. A short time later he tells Laban -

"...Send me away, that I may go unto mine own place, and to my country.
26 Give me my wives and my children, for whom I have served thee, and let me go: for thou knowest my service which I have done thee." (Old Testament Genesis 30:25 - 26)

And Laban pleads that he stay acknowledging -

"...for I have learned by experience that the LORD hath blessed me for thy sake." (Old Testament Genesis 30:27)

I think Jacob strategizes some way to get even because his father-in-law had deceptively -

"...changed my wages ten times..." (Old Testament Genesis 31:7)

It is then Jacob makes this deal -

"...I will pass through all thy flock to day, removing from thence all the speckled and spotted cattle, and all the brown cattle among the sheep, and the spotted and speckled among the goats: and of such shall be my hire." (Old Testament Genesis 30:32)

Laban must have agreed. Jacob seemed to know what he was doing in that he was able to cause these conditions through breeding the -

"...flocks conceived before the rods, and brought forth cattle ringstraked, speckled, and spotted.
40 And Jacob did separate the lambs, and set the faces of the flocks toward the ringstraked, and all the brown in the flock of Laban; and he put his own flocks by themselves, and put them not unto Laban's cattle." (Old Testament Genesis 30:39 - 40)

And he arranged this method of breeding such that -

"...the feebler were Laban's, and the stronger Jacob's.
43 And the man increased exceedingly, and had much cattle, and maidservants, and menservants, and camels, and asses." (Old Testament Genesis 30:42 - 43)

I think by a cunning agreement he was able to achieve some sort of justice. Even later when Laban figured out what was going on and confronts Jacob -

"...Jacob was wroth, and chode with Laban: and Jacob answered and said to Laban, What is my trespass? what is my sin, that thou hast so hotly pursued after me?" (Old Testament Genesis 31:36)

"Thus have I been twenty years in thy house; I served thee fourteen years for thy two daughters, and six years for thy cattle: and thou hast changed my wages ten times." (Old Testament Genesis 31:41)

And they worked out their disagreement and Laban suggested -

"...come thou, let us make a covenant, I and thou..." (Old Testament Genesis 31:44)

And -

"...in the morning Laban rose up, and kissed his sons and his daughters, and blessed them: and Laban departed, and returned unto his place." (Old Testament Genesis 31:55)