Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 27, 2005

1 Nephi 1 - 2

As Nephi begins his record, he tells us -

"I, NEPHI, having been born of goodly parents, therefore I was taught somewhat in all the learning of my father; and having seen many afflictions in the course of my days, nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days; yea, having had a great knowledge of the goodness and the mysteries of God, therefore I make a record of my proceedings in my days." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:1)

What caught my attention in this verse is the -

"...having seen many afflictions in the course of my days..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:1)

Followed then by -

"...nevertheless, having been highly favored of the Lord in all my days..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:1)

As we ponder thes words, being "highly favored of the Lord" does not necessarily mean a reduction in afflictions. There are even be some scriptural evidence to the contrary. Natural man tends to see pain and affliction as the absence of God or evidence of God, not as being "favored of God". It seems to be more of an attitude of hope, faith, and gratitude.

Lehi, who had

"..prayed unto the Lord, yea, even with all his heart, in behalf of his people." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:5)

And consequently the Lord commands him to warn his people and in obedience -

"...he went forth among the people, and began to prophesy and to declare unto them concerning the things which he had both seen and heard." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:18)

And as a result of doing as he is commanded -

"...the Jews did mock him because of the things which he testified of them; for he truly testified of their wickedness and their abominations; and he testified that the things which he saw and heard, and also the things which he read in the book, manifested plainly of the coming of a Messiah, and also the redemption of the world.
20 And when the Jews heard these things they were angry with him; yea, even as with the prophets of old, whom they had cast out, and stoned, and slain; and they also sought his life, that they might take it away." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:19 - 20)

By being obedient to the will of the Lord, wouldn't those of little faith tend to think, "oh this is nice, I do what I'm asked now everyong is angry. In fact, they want to take my life away. Is this what I get for doing what I'm asked?" Not Lehi! Nephi tells us that he -

"...will show unto you that the tender mercies of the Lord are over all those whom he hath chosen, because of their faith, to make them mighty even unto the power of deliverance."
(Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 1:20)

The tender mercies of the Lord ends up with the Lord saying to Lehi -

"Blessed art thou Lehi, because of the things which thou hast done; and because thou hast been faithful and declared unto this people the things which I commanded thee, behold, they seek to take away thy life.
2 And ...the Lord commanded my father, even in a dream, that he should take his family and depart into the wilderness." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 2:1 - 2)

Again, a person of little faith might think, " oh this is grand, now I have to forsake my home, my gold and silver, my lifestyle and everything I've worked for and now depart into the wilderness." In fact, the stiffnecked sons of Lehi, Laman and Lemuel murmured -

"...many things against their father, because he was a visionary man, and had led them out of the land of Jerusalem, to leave the land of their inheritance, and their gold, and their silver, and their precious things, to perish in the wilderness. And this they said he had done because of the foolish imaginations of his heart." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 2:11)

But not Lehi, he -

"...left his house, and the land of his inheritance, and his gold, and his silver, and his precious things, and took nothing with him, save it were his family, and provisions, and tents, and departed into the wilderness.
...and he did travel in the wilderness with his family, which consisted of my mother, Sariah, and my elder brothers, who were Laman, Lemuel, and Sam.
6 And ...he had traveled three days in the wilderness, he pitched his tent in a valley by the side of a river of water.
7 And...he built an altar of stones, and made an offering unto the Lord, and gave thanks unto the Lord our God." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 2:4 - 7)

This seems to be the difference between those of those highly favored of the Lord and those that are not. In this case, Lehi was not only obedient but gave thanks to the Lord even in his afflictions. And if that wasn't enough, he even made a sacred offering or sacrifice with his gratitued.

No wonder, Helaman named his sons Nephi and Lehi -

"...Behold, I have given unto you the names of our first parents who came out of the land of Jerusalem; and this I have done that when you remember your names ye may remember them; and when ye remember them ye may remember their works; and when ye remember their works ye may know how that it is said, and also written, that they were good.
7 Therefore, my sons, I would that ye should do that which is good, that it may be said of you, and also written, even as it has been said and written of them." (Book of Mormon Helaman 5:6 - 7)

0 Comments:

<< Home