Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 31, 2005

1 Nephi 6 - 10

In the vision of the tree of life, Lehi tells his sons -

"...I beheld a tree, whose fruit was desirable to make one happy.
11 And it came to pass that I did go forth and partake of the fruit thereof; and I beheld that it was most sweet, above all that I ever before tasted. Yea, and I beheld that the fruit thereof was white, to exceed all the whiteness that I had ever seen.
12 And as I partook of the fruit thereof it filled my soul with exceedingly great joy..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8:10 - 12)

And also -

"..I beheld a rod of iron, and it extended along the bank of the river, and led to the tree by which I stood." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8:19)

Later in his own vision, Nephi tells us -

"...I beheld the Son of God going forth among the children of men; and I saw many fall down at his feet and worship him." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:24)

And as his eyes are opened with this vision of the Son of God, he tells us -

"...I beheld that the rod of iron, which my father had seen, was the word of God, which led to the fountain of living waters, or to the tree of life; which waters are a representation of the love of God; and I also beheld that the tree of life was a representation of the love of God." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 11:25)

In the scriptures, the Savior many times uses such metaphors as names for himself such as -

"...the bread of God is he which cometh down from heaven, and giveth life unto the world...I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger..." (New Testament John 6:33 - 35)

I feel the very essence of the gospel of Christ is taught in one verse of Lehi's dream -

"...behold, he saw other multitudes pressing forward; and they came and caught hold of the end of the rod of iron; and they did press their way forward, continually holding fast to the rod of iron, until they came forth and fell down and partook of the fruit of the tree." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8:30)

The essence of the gospel is that of faith, works, and grace -

"...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:23)

For we

"...must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men...feasting upon the word of Christ..." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 31:20)

"...relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 31:19)

As Lehi describes the faith and works of those who did press forward holding fast to the rod of iron, he tells us of an unusual event -

"...they came forth and fell down..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 8:30)

The only reason I can see why these people would fall down would be to worship the "tree of life" whom I believe is the Savior. It is after they fall down that they partake of the fruit of the tree. As I try to envision in my mind a picture of fallen worshipers, it seems the way they would then partake of the fruit would be the tree of life (the Savior) extending its branches to them, again -

"...relying wholly upon the merits of him who is mighty to save." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 31:19)