Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 24, 2005

Ether 11 - Moroni 6

As Moroni begins his own book, he says -

"...I, Moroni, after having made an end of abridging the account of the people of Jared, I had supposed not to have written more, but I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.
2 For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.
3 And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life.
4 Wherefore, I write a few more things, contrary to that which I had supposed; for I had supposed not to have written any more; but I write a few more things...according to the will of the Lord." (Book of Mormon Moroni 1:1 - 4)

He then touches on a few points of doctrine that he feels should be mentioned such as power to give the holy ghost, priesthood ordinations, the administration of the sacrament, and also -

"...now I speak concerning baptism..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:1)

For of those that desired baptism, Moroni tells us -

"...they were not baptized save they brought forth fruit meet that they were worthy of it.
2 Neither did they receive any unto baptism save they came forth with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, and witnessed unto the church that they truly repented of all their sins." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:1 - 2)

And with the emphasis that -

"...none were received unto baptism save they took upon them the name of Christ, having a determination to serve him to the end." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:3)

I believe that Moroni wanted us to understand the sacred obligations and covenants entered into with the baptismal ordinance. But he also understood that baptism was the beginning, the gate so to speak as as he continues that -

"...after they had been received unto baptism, and were wrought upon and cleansed by the power of the Holy Ghost, they were numbered among the people of the church of Christ; and their names were taken, that they might be remembered and nourished by the good word of God, to keep them in the right way, to keep them continually watchful unto prayer, relying alone upon the merits of Christ, who was the author and the finisher of their faith..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:4)

As I read these words, I recogized the two essential components of the blessings of the atonement - works and grace - relying upon the merits of Christ -

"...for we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do." (Book of Mormon 2 Nephi 25:23)

And to do this, Moroni admonishes us to -

"...meet together oft, to fast and to pray, and to speak one with another concerning the welfare of their souls.
6 And ...to partake of bread and wine, in remembrance of the Lord Jesus." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:5 - 6)

And these meetings were to -

"...conducted by the church after the manner of the workings of the Spirit, and by the power of the Holy Ghost; for as the power of the Holy Ghost led them whether to preach, or to exhort, or to pray, or to supplicate, or to sing, even so it was done." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:9)

Moroni also knew that even with all this work, some may stumble. Because of the sacred covenants of baptism and membership in the Lord's kingdom, he instructs us -

"...that there should be no iniquity among them; and whoso was found to commit iniquity, and three witnesses of the church did condemn them before the elders, and if they repented not, and confessed not, their names were blotted out, and they were not numbered among the people of Christ." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:7)

But with the love and mercy of the atonement, he reminds us that even in such cases -

"But as oft as they repented and sought forgiveness, with real intent, they were forgiven." (Book of Mormon Moroni 6:8)