Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, October 10, 2005

3 Nephi 13 - 16

Upon his visit to the people in the land of Bountiful, the Savior immediately taught much of the doctrine he had taught to the Jews in his mortal ministry, for as he

"...ended these sayings he cast his eyes round about on the multitude, and said unto them: Behold, ye have heard the things which I taught before I ascended to my Father; therefore, whoso remembereth these sayings of mine and doeth them, him will I raise up at the last day." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 15:1)

This was his doctrine. It was the doctrine and law all men must live by to qualify for eternal life for the Savior testified -

"...I am the law, and the light. Look unto me, and endure to the end, and ye shall live; for unto him that endureth to the end will I give eternal life.
10 Behold, I have given unto you the commandments; therefore keep my commandments. And this is the law and the prophets, for they truly testified of me." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 15:9 - 10)

As I read his law and commandments this morning, I was particularly touched by -

"Not every one that saith unto me, Lord, Lord, shall enter into the kingdom of heaven; but he that doeth the will of my Father who is in heaven." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 14:21)

As the Savior taught the Nephites how they should pray, he included -

"Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:10)

Suggesting that his will is done as we choose to do his will - for that is his will. For -

"Many will say to me in that day: Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name, and in thy name have cast out devils, and in thy name done many wonderful works?
23 And then will I profess unto them: I never knew you; depart from me, ye that work iniquity." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 14:22 - 23)

Why? Because these things were done done according to our own will, not according to his will, suggesting -

"...where your treasure is, there will your heart be also." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:21)

The Savior leaves this great truth -

"The light of the body is the eye; if, therefore, thine eye be single, thy whole body shall be full of light." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:22)

"But if thine eye be evil, thy whole body shall be full of darkness. If, therefore, the light that is in thee be darkness, how great is that darkness!" (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:23)

"No man can serve two masters...Ye cannot serve God and Mammon." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 13:24)

In these teachings, I think it is important to recognize the Savior is teaching those that were -

"...spared because [they] were more righteous..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:13)

Comparing these thoughts to today, I picture he is speaking to those in the Church that we may generally be call "active". The Saviors counsel is to remind the saints that to do the Lord's will, to keep our covenants, is that we must have an eye single to his will, that our works are per his will which is as he stated -

"Wherefore, now let every man learn his duty, and to act in the office in which he is appointed, in all diligence." (Doctrine and Covenants Section 107:99)

That we are careful what enters into our body through our eyes, knowing that we cannot serve God and Satan at the same time, and knowing that what we desire or treasure most, will stand as a testimony for or against us.