Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Ether 1 - 3

After having built the barges tight "like a dish" as instructed by the Lord, the brother of Jared asks -

"...O Lord, behold I have done even as thou hast commanded me; and I have prepared the vessels for my people, and behold there is no light in them. Behold, O Lord, wilt thou suffer that we shall cross this great water in darkness?" (Book of Mormon Ether 2:22)

To which the Lord asks -

"...What will ye that I should do that ye may have light in your vessels?..." (Book of Mormon Ether 2:23)

The brother of Jared didn't throw his hands into the air with an "I don't know". He felt that the burden was on his shoulders to figure out how to light the vessels. Moroni doesn't tell us how long it took the him to come up with a solution other than "it came to pass" for the brother of Jared -

"...went forth unto the mount, which they called the mount Shelem, because of its exceeding height, and did molten out of a rock sixteen small stones; and they were white and clear, even as transparent glass.." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:1)

Probably not an easy task. Then humbly and with great faith -

"...he did carry them in his hands upon the top of the mount, and cried again unto the Lord, saying:
2 O Lord, ...behold these things which I have molten out of the rock...I know, O Lord, that thou hast all power, and can do whatsoever thou wilt for the benefit of man; therefore touch these stones, O Lord, with thy finger, and prepare them that they may shine forth in darkness; and they shall shine forth unto us in the vessels which we have prepared, that we may have light while we shall cross the sea.
5 Behold, O Lord, thou canst do this. We know that thou art able to show forth great power, which looks small unto the understanding of men." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:1 - 5)

Then -

"...the Lord stretched forth his hand and touched the stones one by one with his finger..." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:6)

And to his surprise -

"...the veil was taken from off the eyes of the brother of Jared, and he saw the finger of the Lord; and it was as the finger of a man, like unto flesh and blood; and the brother of Jared fell down before the Lord, for he was struck with fear." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:6)

The Lord then asks -

"...Arise, why hast thou fallen?..." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:7)

To which the brother of Jared responds -

"...I saw the finger of the Lord, and I feared lest he should smite me; for I knew not that the Lord had flesh and blood." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:8)

To which the Lord answers -

"...Because of thy faith thou hast seen that I shall take upon me flesh and blood; and never has man come before me with such exceeding faith as thou hast; for were it not so ye could not have seen my finger. Sawest thou more than this?" (Book of Mormon Ether 3:9)

"...Nay; Lord, show thyself unto me." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:10)

"...behold, the Lord showed himself unto him, and said: Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters.
15 And never have I showed myself unto man whom I have created, for never has man believed in me as thou hast. Seest thou that ye are created after mine own image? Yea, even all men were created in the beginning after mine own image.
16 Behold, this body, which ye now behold, is the body of my spirit; and man have I created after the body of my spirit; and even as I appear unto thee to be in the spirit will I appear unto my people in the flesh." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:13 - 16)

Moroni then comments -

"...it sufficeth me to say that Jesus showed himself unto this man in the spirit,...And because of the knowledge of this man he could not be kept from beholding within the veil; and he saw the finger of Jesus, which, when he saw, he fell with fear; for he knew that it was the finger of the Lord; and he had faith no longer, for he knew, nothing doubting.
20 Wherefore, having this perfect knowledge of God, he could not be kept from within the veil; therefore he saw Jesus; and he did minister unto him..." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:17 - 20)

Many have struggled with the Savior's words -

"...never have I showed myself unto man whom I have created, for never has man believed in me as thou hast..." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:15)

Knowing that there is scriptural references that God walked with Noah, and God spoke to Enoch face to face and so forth. The following is my opinion.

The Prophet Joseph Smith taught of another or a second comforter and the relationship to having a person's calling and election made sure. As the Savior showed himself he said -

"...Because thou knowest these things ye are redeemed from the fall; therefore ye are brought back into my presence; therefore I show myself unto you.
14 Behold, I am he who was prepared from the foundation of the world to redeem my people. Behold, I am Jesus Christ. I am the Father and the Son. In me shall all mankind have life, and that eternally, even they who shall believe on my name; and they shall become my sons and my daughters." (Book of Mormon Ether 3:13 - 14)

It is my opinion that this was the first time or as "never before" had he introduced himself as in first peron as Jesus Christ where before he introduced himself as the Father, God, or Jehovah. I also believe this was the first time he came as the "second comforter" extending redemption from the fall which he only could give. All this because -

"...never has man believed in me as thou hast" (Book of Mormon Ether 3:15)