Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

3 Nephi 17 - 19

As the Savior was about to conclude his words and teachings on his initial visit to the people of Nephi -

"...he looked round about again on the multitude, and he said unto them: Behold, my time is at hand." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:1)

And knowing he had given them a great deal of instruction, he said -

"I perceive that ye are weak, that ye cannot understand all my words which I am commanded of the Father to speak unto you at this time." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:2)

Thus he admonishes them -

"...go ye unto your homes, and ponder upon the things which I have said, and ask of the Father, in my name, that ye may understand..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:3)

In a recent regional priesthood leadership meeting, Elder Dale E. Miller counseled us to not only read the scriptures, but stop and ponder that which we read. With the Savior's teachings, we are not only counseled to read and ponder, but to also "ask the Father... that we may understand." Nephi talked of the revelations and teachings of his father in that -

"...he truly spake many great things unto them, which were hard to be understood, save a man should inquire of the Lord..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:3)

There is nothing written that suggests that Laman and Lemuel spent much time, if any, reading the words of Christ. Most of what they learned came from the teachings of their father, Lehi. Even then, they spent more time -

"...disputing one with another concerning the things which my father had spoken unto them..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:2)

than pondering his words - all with a common excuse -

"...we cannot understand the words which our father hath spoken..." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:7)

To which Nephi asks -

"...Have ye inquired of the Lord?" (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:8)

It becomes clear from the teachings of the Savior and the words of Nephi, that we are to read the "words of Christ", then ponder the "words of Christ", then pray to understand the "words of Christ", with the faith that the Lord will help us understand his words - not with the same attitude as spoken by Laman and Lemuel -

"...the Lord maketh no such thing known unto us." (Book of Mormon 1 Nephi 15:9)

A little bit more insight is given by the Savior on this process when he instructs them -

"...prepare your minds for the morrow, and I come unto you again" (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 17:3)

I envision the Savior's instruction of scripture study, pondering, and prayer to be a daily occurence - with each day preparing our minds for tomorrow to again receive the "words of Christ" in scripture study.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home