Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Mormon 5 - 9

After the Nephites had all gathered in the land of Cumorah, Mormon writes -

"..my people, with their wives and their children, did now behold the armies of the Lamanites marching towards them; and with that awful fear of death which fills the breasts of all the wicked, did they await to receive them...and every soul was filled with terror because of the greatness of their numbers." (Book of Mormon Mormon 6:7 - 8)

Mormon describes the destruction of his people as being "hewn down" as the Lamanites passed by. Mormon does not tell us if the women and children were included in his account, but whether they were are not, the fatalities were at least 260,000 - almost incomprehensible. Of his people only 24 survived this last battle including Mormon and Moroni.

As Moroni assumes responsibility of the records, he writes -

"...I, Moroni, do finish the record of my father, Mormon. Behold, I have but few things to write, which things I have been commanded by my father.
2 And now it came to pass that after the great and tremendous battle at Cumorah, behold, the Nephites who had escaped into the country southward were hunted by the Lamanites, until they were all destroyed.
3 And my father also was killed by them, and I even remain alone to write the sad tale of the destruction of my people. But behold, they are gone, and I fulfil the commandment of my father. And whether they will slay me, I know not." (Book of Mormon Mormon 8:1 - 3)

Over the years, as I have read the Book of Mormon, I come to love the prophet Mormon more and more each time. The few words "my father also was killed" hurts everytime I read it - just like losing a great friend. And then I read of Moroni circumstances -

"I am alone...My father hath been slain in battle, and all my kinsfolk, and I have not friends nor whither to go; and how long the Lord will suffer that I may live I know not." (Book of Mormon Mormon 8:5)

Some time later he continues to write -

"...I have not as yet perished; and I make not myself known to the Lamanites lest they should destroy me.
2 For behold, their wars are exceedingly fierce among themselves; and because of their hatred they put to death every Nephite that will not deny the Christ.
3 And I, Moroni, will not deny the Christ; wherefore, I wander whithersoever I can for the safety of mine own life..." (Book of Mormon Moroni 1:1 - 3)

Under these difficult conditions, Moroni is inspired to write some of the most direct and soul searching words of the book -

"...I speak unto you as if ye were present, and yet ye are not. But behold, Jesus Christ hath shown you unto me, and I know your doing.
36 And I know that ye do walk in the pride of your hearts; and there are none save a few only who do not lift themselves up in the pride of their hearts, unto the wearing of very fine apparel, unto envying, and strifes, and malice, and persecutions, and all manner of iniquities; and your churches, yea, even every one, have become polluted because of the pride of your hearts.
37 For behold, ye do love money, and your substance, and your fine apparel, and the adorning of your churches, more than ye love the poor and the needy, the sick and the afflicted.
38 O ye pollutions, ye hypocrites, ye teachers, who sell yourselves for that which will canker, why have ye polluted the holy church of God? Why are ye ashamed to take upon you the name of Christ? Why do ye not think that greater is the value of an endless happiness than that misery which never dies—because of the praise of the world?"(Book of Mormon Mormon 8:35 - 38)

"...O then despise not, and wonder not, but hearken unto the words of the Lord, and ask the Father in the name of Jesus for what things soever ye shall stand in need. Doubt not, but be believing...and come unto the Lord with all your heart, and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling before him.
28 Be wise in the days of your probation; strip yourselves of all uncleanness; ask not, that ye may consume it on your lusts, but ask with a firmness unshaken, that ye will yield to no temptation, but that ye will serve the true and living God." (Book of Mormon Mormon 9:27 - 28)

It is this last line that that Moroni understood was the most critical -

"...that ye will serve the true and living God." (Book of Mormon Mormon 9:28)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home