Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, October 06, 2005

3 Nephi 8 - 10

At the time of the death of the Savior in Jerusalem, in the new world -

"...there arose a great storm, such an one as never had been known in all the land." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 8:5)

such that -

"...there was a great and terrible destruction in the land southward.
12 But behold, there was a more great and terrible destruction in the land northward; for behold, the whole face of the land was changed, because of the tempest and the whirlwinds, and the thunderings and the lightnings, and the exceedingly great quaking of the whole earth..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 8:11 - 12)

And after about three hours of this great and terrible destruction -

"...there was darkness upon the face of the land...insomuch that the inhabitants thereof who had not fallen could feel the vapor of darkness..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 8:19 - 20)

"...there could be no light, because of the darkness, neither candles, neither torches; neither could there be fire kindled with their fine and exceedingly dry wood, so that there could not be any light at all;
22 And there was not any light seen, neither fire, nor glimmer, neither the sun, nor the moon, nor the stars, for so great were the mists of darkness which were upon the face of the land...And it did last for the space of three days that there was no light seen..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 8:21 - 23)

"...and there was great mourning and howling and weeping among all the people continually; yea, great were the groanings of the people, because of the darkness and the great destruction which had come upon them." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 8:23)

And while in this condition of darkness and lament -

"...there was a voice heard among all the inhabitants of the earth..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:1)

Saying -

"...Wo, wo, wo unto this people; wo unto the inhabitants of the whole earth except they shall repent; for the devil laugheth, and his angels rejoice, because of the slain of the fair sons and daughters of my people; and it is because of their iniquity and abominations that they are fallen!" (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:2)

Behold, I am Jesus Christ the Son of God...And as many as have received me, to them have I given to become the sons of God; and even so will I to as many as shall believe on my name, for behold, by me redemption cometh, and in me is the law of Moses fulfilled.
18 I am the light and the life of the world. I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:15 - 18)

"...ye shall offer up unto me no more the shedding of blood; yea, your sacrifices and your burnt offerings shall be done away, for I will accept none of your sacrifices and your burnt offerings.
20 And ye shall offer for a sacrifice unto me a broken heart and a contrite spirit. And whoso cometh unto me with a broken heart and a contrite spirit, him will I baptize with fire and with the Holy Ghost..." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:19 - 20)

"...I have come unto the world to bring redemption unto the world, to save the world from sin.
22 Therefore, whoso repenteth and cometh unto me as a little child, him will I receive, for of such is the kingdom of God. Behold, for such I have laid down my life, and have taken it up again; therefore repent, and come unto me ye ends of the earth, and be saved." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 9:21 - 22)

And after these words, the survivors stopped their mourning and lamenting and there was silence in the land for many hours for the survivors of the terrible storm were -

"...the more righteous part of the people who were saved, and it was they who received the prophets and stoned them not; and it was they who had not shed the blood of the saints, who were spared—" (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 10:12)

And speaking of the fallen, the voice said -

"... how oft would I have gathered you as a hen gathereth her chickens, and ye would not." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 10:5)

And to those that remained, the voice continues -

"...how oft will I gather you as a hen gathereth her chickens under her wings, if ye will repent and return unto me with full purpose of heart." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 10:6)

I believe these chapters have great application to us as we approach the promised second coming of Savior and the comparative promised destruction of the wicked similar that befell the Nephites and Lamanites -

"...And now, whoso readeth, let him understand; he that hath the scriptures, let him search them, and see and behold if all these deaths and destructions by fire, and by smoke, and by tempests, and by whirlwinds, and by the opening of the earth to receive them, and all these things are not unto the fulfilling of the prophecies of many of the holy prophets." (Book of Mormon 3 Nephi 10:14)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home