Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 04, 2019

Matthew 19

When a young rich man arrogantly approached the Savior saying -

"...Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?"  (Matthew 19:16)

Upon being told to keep the commandments, he responds -

"...All these things have I kept from my youth up: what lack I yet?"  (Matthew 19:20)

I believe because of his lack of humility, the Savior instructs him personally -

"...If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me.
22 But when the young man heard that saying, he went away sorrowful: for he had great possessions."  (Matthew 19:21–22)

Watching this, His disciples later asks the Savior -

Who then can be saved?
(Matthew 19:25)

The Savior then explains to his disciples -

"...With men this is impossible; but with God all things are possible."  (Matthew 19:26)

Which suggests to me that it is only through the power of the atonement of Jesus Christ can man be saved.  And such only receives such through humility, meekness, and lowly of heart.

Thus -

"...many that are first shall be last; and the last shall be first."  (Matthew 19:30)

Which suggest to me that those that consider themselves first will be last and those that are meek and submissive to His commandments will be first.