Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, November 07, 2016

D&C 39

As I read the revelation given to James Covill, I notice the condition -

 "...if thou wilt hearken to my voice..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 39:10)

and -

 "...if thou do this..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 39:11)

Obviously, all blessings of God have conditions.

President Harold B. Lee said -

“I sat in a class in Sunday School in my own ward one day, and the teacher was the son of a patriarch. He said he used to take down the blessings of his father, and he noticed that his
father gave what he called ‘iffy’ blessings. He would give a blessing, but it was predicated on . . . ‘if you will cease doing that.’ And he said, ‘I watched these men to whom my father gave the “iffy” blessings, and I saw that many of them did not heed the warning that my father as a patriarch had given, and the blessings were never received because they did not comply.’ “You know, this started me thinking. I went back into the Doctrine and Covenants and began to read the ‘iffy’ revelations that have been given to the various brethren in the Church. If you want to have an exercise in something that will startle you, read some of the warnings that were given through the Prophet Joseph Smith to Thomas B. Marsh, Martin Harris, some of the Whitmer brothers, William E. McLellin—warnings which, had they heeded, some would not have fallen by the wayside. But because they did not heed, and they didn’t clear up their lives, they fell by the wayside, and some had to be dropped from membership in the Church.” (In Conference Report, Oct. 1972, p. 130; or Ensign, Jan. 1973, pp. 107–8.)

I went to my own patriarchal blessing where I read -

"If you will continue this path of dedication and of faithfulness, God will withhold no good gift or blessing from you.
"
"It would be well if you could look upon your whole mortal life as being on a mission in the service of your Savior..."