Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, November 01, 2016

D&C 36

As I began reading the 36th section of the Doctrine and Covenants, I don't know why but my thoughts suddenly were filled the power and grace of the atonement of Jesus Christ which encompassed the entire time on the cross-trainer.  I found myself reading very little of section 36.

What crossed my mind was three principles or laws associated with His grace and the Atonement.  I will only touch on these.  It would be difficult to write this morning all my thoughts.

The first law or principle is that of the resurrection.  We know that all men will be resurrected so their are not requirements to satisfy this gift other than we know that -

"There are also celestial bodies, and bodies terrestrial: but the glory of the celestial is one, and the glory of the terrestrial is another.
41 There is one glory of the sun, and another glory of the moon, and another glory of the stars: for one star differeth from another star in glory.
42 So also is the resurrection of the dead..."  (New Testament | 1 Corinthians 15:40 - 42)

Thus there are conditions in what type of resurrected body we receive which leads to the other grand laws or principles of Justification and Sanctification.  We see these two laws throughout the scriptures.

It is through the grace and power of the atonement of Jesus Christ that the law of justification is manifest.  In my mind, justify means to bring oneself in line with, reconcile with, or become like the Savior.  In other words, one become righteous doing right things.  This cannot happen without his grace and the power of the Holy Ghost as we receive knowledge, testimony, faith, hope, charity, ordinances, covenants, and overcome the world.  Through his grace we receive the enabling power to do so.  Again we become righteous for -

"...in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 84:20)

In my mind, the grace and power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ enables also to be sanctified or in other words, literally to become clean, pure, and holy.  Again it is through the Holy Ghost that this happens.  This seems to happened as we receive the Holy Ghost and repent.  We cannot sanctify ourselves.

Scripture upon scripture comes to my mind as and contemplated these two laws.  Let me just quote the world of the Lord to Moses -

"For by the water ye keep the commandment; by the Spirit ye are justified, and by the blood ye are sanctified..."  (Pearl of Great Price | Moses 6:60)