Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Tuesday, September 20, 2016

D&C 11

It becomes apparent that as Hyrum Smith visits Joseph in Harmony, that he wants to share what is happening with the Prophet with the people.  In great wisdom, the Lord instructs Hyrum -

"Keep my commandments; hold your peace; appeal unto my Spirit;
19 Yea, cleave unto me with all your heart, that you may assist in bringing to light those things of which has been spoken—yea, the translation of my work; be patient until you shall accomplish it.
20 Behold, this is your work, to keep my commandments, yea, with all your might, mind and strength.
21 Seek not to declare my word, but first seek to obtain my word, and then shall your tongue be loosed; then, if you desire, you shall have my Spirit and my word, yea, the power of God unto the convincing of men."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 11:18 - 21)

Which "Spirit" -

"...shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 11:13)

The Lord explains why -

"...now hold your peace; study my word which hath gone forth among the children of men, and also study my word which shall come forth among the children of men, or that which is now translating, yea, until you have obtained all which I shall grant unto the children of men in this generation, and then shall all things be added thereto."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 11:22)

In my mind, Joseph was still translating the very record that would reveal the Lord's true points of doctrine.  Thus Hyrum was to wait and study this new translated record in order to teach true doctrine.