Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, September 12, 2016

D&C 6

The Lord said to Joseph Smith and Oliver Cowdery -

"Say nothing but repentance unto this generation..."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 6:9)

Only considering this one sentence, one might assume that all we do is call people to repentance, but the Lord adds -

"...keep my commandments, and assist to bring forth my work, according to my commandments, and you shall be blessed."  (Doctrine and Covenants | Section 6:9)

Obviously one cannot repent unless they are taught the commandments and establish faith in Jesus Christ.  President Boyd K. Packer taught -

“True doctrine, understood, changes attitudes and behavior. The study of the doctrines of the gospel will improve behavior quicker than a study of behavior will improve behavior."

Thus an essential need to say repentance if the need to first teach truth, doctrine, principles, and the commandments is all part of "saying repentance".  One would do best to watch and learn from those we sustain, the prophets, seers, and revelators.