Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Friday, March 25, 2016

Mosiah 24

Something struck me this morning as I read Mormon's account of Alma's people in the land of Helam as heavy burdens are placed on them by Amulon.  After they were commanded not to pray or pray vocally, we read that -

"...it came to pass that the voice of the Lord came to them in their afflictions, saying: Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.
14 And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 24:13 - 14)

And then  -

"...it came to pass that so great was their faith and their patience that the voice of the Lord came unto them again, saying: Be of good comfort, for on the morrow I will deliver you out of bondage."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 24:16)

I note that the voice of the Lord did not come only to Alma, but, it seems to me, to all or to most of them for it says in both cases that "the voice of the Lord came to them".  These words of Mormon seem intentional for specifically then wrote that the Lord -

"...said unto Alma: Thou shalt go before this people, and I will go with thee and deliver this people out of bondage."  (Book of Mormon | Mosiah 24:17)

What a wonderful thought that all or most of the people were entitled to hear the voice of the Lord and receive comfort and guidance.