Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Monday, February 15, 2016

Jacob 2

The Declaration of Independence states -

"We hold these truths to be self-evident:


That all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness..."

I specifically notes "pursuit of happiness".  Alma taught -

"...Behold, I say unto you, wickedness never was happiness."  (Book of Mormon | Alma 41:10)

In other words, the only way you can pursue happiness is to pursue righteousness.  Jacob began his remarks to his people with the warning  -

"...behold, hearken ye unto me, and know that by the help of the all–powerful Creator of heaven and earth I can tell you concerning your thoughts, how that ye are beginning to labor in sin, which sin appeareth very abominable unto me, yea, and abominable unto God."  (Book of Mormon | Jacob 2:5)

Of "labor in sin", David J. Ridges commented -

"The phrase “labor in sin” as used in verse 5, above, as a very interesting and insightful term. Sin creates much more stress and work (labor) than righteousness does. This is true both on an individual basis as well as on a national level. For instance, righteousness promotes peace and thus the labors and productivity of the people go to building up of the standard of living for everyone. On the other hand, wickedness requires the formation and financing of police, armies, self defense, locks, security systems, guards, and so forth. In summary, righteousness builds, produces and creates prosperity, while wickedness consumes prosperity."  (Ridges, David J. (2007-08-01). The Book of Mormon Made Easier, Part 1)

I think that is interesting that laboring in sin "consumes prosperity".  I believe our founding fathers full intent was that citizens were to create prosperity through pursuit of happiness or righteousness.