Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Wednesday, December 30, 2015

2 Nephi 4

I remember hearing my mother, whom I consider to one of the more righteous of saints, comment that many times she did not feel that she would qualify for exaltation.  Nephi has to among the most righteous of prophets yet he also confessed -

"...Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which do so easily beset me."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 4:17 - 18)

I wonder that as we become more righteous and Christ-like, that we begin to recognize our small imperfections.  Which would suggest the one is acquiring a more contrite heart.  But even recognizing such, in contrast, Nephi also acknowledged the blessings of the atonement of Jesus Christ, speaking to himself -

"Rejoice, O my heart, and cry unto the Lord, and say: O Lord, I will praise thee forever; yea, my soul will rejoice in thee, my God, and the rock of my salvation.
31 O Lord, wilt thou redeem my soul? Wilt thou deliver me out of the hands of mine enemies? Wilt thou make me that I may shake at the appearance of sin?
32 May the gates of hell be shut continually before me, because that my heart is broken and my spirit is contrite! O Lord, wilt thou not shut the gates of thy righteousness before me, that I may walk in the path of the low valley, that I may be strict in the plain road!
33 O Lord, wilt thou encircle me around in the robe of thy righteousness! O Lord, wilt thou make a way for mine escape before mine enemies! Wilt thou make my path straight before me! Wilt thou not place a stumbling block in my way—but that thou wouldst clear my way before me, and hedge not up my way, but the ways of mine enemy."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 4:30 - 33)

Thus the truly contrite are able to say -

"O Lord, I have trusted in thee, and I will trust in thee forever..."  (Book of Mormon | 2 Nephi 4:34)