Scripture Blog

This weblog is my personal online scripture journal. I try to read the scriptures each morning as I exercise on my cross-trainer. It has a great impact on my life and my testimony of the Savior and his restored church. The journal is really for my own benefit but I have set it up as a web log in hopes to benefit anyone else that may be interested. "For he that diligently seeketh shall find; and the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto them, by the power of the Holy Ghost..." 1 Nephi 10:19

Thursday, December 17, 2015

1 Nephi 19

Nephi mentions again  that -

"...after I had made these plates by way of commandment, I, Nephi, received a commandment that the ministry and the prophecies, the more plain and precious parts of them, should be written upon these plates; and that the things which were written should be kept for the instruction of my people, who should possess the land, and also for other wise purposes, which purposes are known unto the Lord."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:3)

Obviously, he must have had some strong feelings that he should write of words of Isaiah that were already on the brass plates...I guess it is always good to have a backup copy.  But then Nephi explains why he thought the words of Isaiah were so important -

"...that I might more fully persuade them to believe in the Lord their Redeemer I did read unto them that which was written by the prophet Isaiah..."  (Book of Mormon | 1 Nephi 19:23)

With all the so called "idioms" of Isaiah's day, it appears that Nephi thought that of all the records on the brass plates, the words of Isaiah would more fully persuade us to believe in Jesus Christ. 

This time, as I read the copied words of Isaiah, I am going to particularly focus on that which persuades us to believe in the Lord our Redeemer.